Gods
Posted: 20 June 2008 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

Well we got alot of gods now.. only 5 that are currently player usable.. i think it would be pretty sweet to beable to worship any god in the game.. giveing the cleric pros and cons.. id like to see some extreme pros and cons too.. like worshiping the drow gods and such.. also, just and idea allowing anyone to worship or follow a god and get very minor pros and cons.. just ideas.. also more gods the better.. i see there is ????? for elven gods.. nature gods.. neurtal gods.. gods of magic.. gods of elements.. ect

Posted: 20 June 2008 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

Maybe extend Devotion so that it affects all classes and guild skills?  We could give everyone God emotes, and the more you use them, the higher your Devotion goes, and the more benefits you get!  Oh, wait, no - people would just make macros to hammer away at these emotes to crank up their Devotion.

I like the role-play aspect of Gods quite a bit - like how Shroud came about, or Tsath’s brain-eating-god.  I like that there’s a certain amount of customization that’s available, and that it’s up to players to use or not use their god.

Maybe later I’ll post my plan for new clerics and their gods.

Posted: 20 June 2008 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

I agree, i posted it before but having small quests/tasks that the god requires you to do.. kill xxx evil things(or undead, or good, or whatver) or even talk to xxx about your god… or gather items to sacrfice.

Posted: 20 June 2008 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

Okay, while I ponder something for Banish Demons, let me give the short version of new cleric gods.  The old gods are still around, but because all Priests and Paladins choose life and hate death - and the undead - the old gods did not make as much sense anymore.  The world changes, and people move on to new gods - witness the turn from Adrammelech, the supreme Mesopotamian god of the sun.

These days, Priests and Paladins have turned back to their roots, back to the gods of their fathers.  The pantheon is racially-based.  So while all Priests pray to the good gods, an elven priest prays to a different deity than a half-ogre priestess.  Their prayers may look and sound different, with each god having their own names, titles, favorite colors, and holy symbols, but the effects of the prayers are the same.

Posted: 22 June 2008 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

how bout not having the effects be the same?  maybe an elven god might offer more protection against ogres, while an ogre god might protect against magic.

Give them some character, i’ve always hated the idea of everything being in perfect balance.

Posted: 22 June 2008 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

In large part because there are so many races, and no fair way to distinguish them, and/or give them all something unique.  For example, what would the favored enemy of Half-Ogres be? And Half-Orcs?  What race would Elves gain and advantage against? And Half-Elves?

Throw the races into a table to match up some favored enemies, and it just doesn’t play itself out to the end.  The first few work out nicely, but then it falls apart.  Some races get awesome enemies, others get shafted.

This is not to say that there are NO differences in the new system.  For example, some spells require that the Cleric be able to see to use their spell ... that favors some races over others; some spells have a maximum-drunkeness, and that favors some races.

I’m open to other, simple suggestions.

Posted: 23 June 2008 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

The different GOds things is a cool apect.  Much more than my feeble and unimaginitive mind can think of.  I like it.

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Posted: 23 June 2008 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2007-11-08

Belly, I hope you tailor the maximum drunkenness to be a fixed portion of total drinking ability, rather than setting it arbitrarily at “quite tipsy,” since we have such higher levels of con now.  I can’t remember the last time any of my aristo chars was at quite tipsy for any length of time.

Posted: 23 June 2008 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

Somehow figuring “% of drunkenness” would be cool.  Granted if it only applied to some prayers like bless does now...I am not to opposed to continuing some kind of drunkness factor.  Can’t make clerics too kickass.

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Posted: 23 June 2008 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

iv been out of the loop in dnd but looks like they switched to domains for gods (or it just makes it easier for the DM(aka wiz in moral, aka belly) to make up there own gods and put them into domains) some good ideas in there.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Cleric_Domains

another thought.. is gods ruling over citys and such.. or.. this is in the wrong forum for sure but clans ruling citys.. thats an idea

Posted: 08 July 2008 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

Well the point wasn’t that every race has to have an enemy, but that every god might have a different preferred race.  And the player doesn’t have to go with their racial god if they don’t want, but that makes the path more difficult.

God A: God of Thieves, Gnomes, and Halflings, represents dexterity and ingenuity.  followers get bonus to dex, devoted followers get boost to luck.

God B:  God of Machinery and Minerals, unnatural creatures.  followers might get ability to assemble mechanical pet or other devices.  Some dwarves follow this god

God C:  Evil god 1, this god hates all living things and desires nothing more than the complete destruction of the world.  Bonuses are more about annihilation and destruction.

God D:  Evil god 2, this god doesn’t hate all living things, she just wants to subjugate them all to her will.  Bonuses are more about breaking a opponents will and spirit, weakening their mind.

God E:  God of Nature 1:  Despises all things mechanical, unnatural structures, items crafted from extracted minerals.  Followers heal faster when in nature.  This would be the god the Elves and druids would be most inclined to follow.

God F:  God of Nature 2:  God of storms, grants powers to it followers for the destruction of those that would harm nature, things that are unnatural, the undead, demons, mechanical beings.

God G:  God of War 1:  Combat is an art, and honorable combat is preferred.  Followers would not cheat or use items to give them an unfair advantage.  Since it is not chivalrious to take a opponents limb, followers would be inclined to target the head or body of a target, or disarm them.

God H:  God of War 2:  War is hell.  Fighting is something you do to survive, but it stains the soul with the blood of the fallen.  This god understands your sacrifice and grants upon his followers comfort when they reflect upon their deeds, and the strength to see them thru their battles.

God I:  God of war 3:  Kill them all, let Belly sort them out.  Abilities only work while in combat.  Bonus for multiple enemies.

God J:  God of Magic 1:  Grants followers increased magic attack, they allow the power of this god to flow thru them into their enemies.

God K:  God of Magic 2:  Increases the defense of the follower against magic, a popular god among the magically declined races like the orcs and ogres.  Magic is absorbed by the follower and returned to the god.

This is just off the top of my head, but you can see some of these gods are ideal based, some are more class affiliated, and others are racial.  But with a few exceptions, just about anyone could follow any of them.

‹‹ Priest or Paladin?      Mage scrolls ››