3 of 3
new races
Posted: 18 June 2008 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

id think 2h hammers would be dwarfs or ogres/orcs/humans.. big 2h clubs/hammers/mauls… nothing graceful about that.. knifes, swords and even polearms i can see as graceful.. and humans are to in the middle to call tough.. could add dwarf as tough tho instead..

ya.. Heimy and graceful should never been paired up.

Posted: 23 July 2008 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-11-06

Why not add natural congenital combat bonuses against certain creature types that are race specific?  Also, I *love* the suggestion that certain races have higher or lower stat caps.  Just set humans as the default and allow other races 2-3 levels up and down on whatever seems appropriate.  Half-Ogre mages would still be, FWIW, plausible under these conditions, but they would be better suited for Conjurers or “battle mages” with the extra STR and CON, which could make for some unexpected benefits.  It would greatly expand our abilities to customize characters to suit our own playing styles.

Also, FWIW, I was under the impression that we already had a *slight* race-specific bonus system in place.  Ergo, Dwarves are naturally more resistant to poison, and elves more naturally resistant to magic or something like that.  Am I right about this or is it just a legend?

Posted: 23 July 2008 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

No, you’re right.  I think there are a couple of ways that races are already distinguished on MD:
size
infravision
resistances
stat costs

Posted: 24 July 2008 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

Id still like to see a more noticable diffrence in races..
Size, is just size beyond a couple weapons being 1 or 2 handed depending on size.. and where you buy your armor.. as far as i know small sizes still get hit the same as large sizes

infravision is really the best diffrence between races

resistances is kinda screwy, from my understanding gnomes and halflings kinda get screwed and dwarfs dominate this area.. teamed with infravison, reason i think dwarfs are the best race.

stat cost.. kinda of a joke imo.. so you dont get your stat as fast as another race.. it wont take much longer to be that big of an issue unless you do a guido.. but even then.. still VERY doable specialy now with aristo stat caps on levels, no big thing

id really like to see somthing.. maybe halflings and gnomes automaticly get natural ac.. stats diffrences.. like.. human would never be as strong as the strongest half-ogre.. but a half-ogre at very best would make a above ave mage.. makeing it doable.. and with the str/con boosts should out weight the int if being a battlemage.. there are lots of things that could be interesting here.. also.. have some things level dependent too, that would be sweet

and if somthing like this ever did get any real thought, of course people should beable to change there race in some cases.. IE guido, or a half-ogre thief… if they wanted too.. while.. i would think a half-ogre thief.. if/when they do hit.. would be devestating (with the new race/stat system) but.. ya ok.. back to work

Posted: 24 July 2008 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Candidate
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-06-15

See “a needed change” post.

Physical resistance is far too dominant to screw over some races with. Telling us just to make a new character isn’t valid either.

Yes, dwarves made out like bandits, but all classes with higher physical resistance will be better than pretty much everyone else.

Anon

3 of 3

‹‹ Best Race      Halflings... ››