3 of 3
Fighters
Posted: 01 February 2009 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

That’s sort of the direction that I’m leaning.

Posted: 03 February 2009 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

i keep wondering about what you are thinking and how it would work.. one think i have been thinking about is our “weapon master” title..  with your new ideas.. will we be more restricted then we are now.. and by restricted i mean.. we arnt “restricted” but when not using our specialty, we lose alot of killing power.. but on that same note.. if i wanted to i can pick up any weapon and use it simi-well.. just compared to our specialty it seems chitty.

and is inspect part of this overhall?

and your idea’s with shields?

and.. you rock
the end

Posted: 06 February 2009 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-03-02

Y’all can thank Apoc for pointing me to this discussion (snicker).  Glad he did...can’t let Lynis single-handedly forge the future of fighter!

Anyway, don’t have much to add at this point but would like to announce my total agreement that the ‘weapon master’ and ‘inspect’ issues need to be addressed.  The old compare was far superior and aim was pretty useful. 

I do hope no matter what becomes of fighter that the new aristo skills will remain unaffected.  For example, whirlwind must be the greatest new feature/benefit for fighter in years.  Any changes to fighter should not affect whirlwind other than to make it even better.

One thing I have been babbling about lately is giving fighter the ability to ‘enchance’ any weapon.  Not just for themselves but for other players.  Enchance would be similar to mage’s enchant and protect, but the messages and underlying result would be slightly different.  Enhance allow a fighter to sharpen, hone, oil, clean, and tuning the weapon to make it the best possible, meaning it would perhaps increase the WC, durability, and accuracy of the weapon.  This skills appears, imo, to offer credence to the ‘weapon master’ myth.  Say nothing about how cool it would be. smile

As for new skills and choosing which path to follow, sounds much like the new cleric options.  I’m not sure if that’s good or not without seeing some detail. 

In short, fighter specials need a complete review and imo, an overhaul. 

And speaking of shields and parry, it does work better now that Abbot fixed it, but Lynis is correct- it takes forever to kill something and you lose the benefit of whirlwind. 

Looking forward to hearing more about Bele’s ideas.

Gal

Posted: 06 February 2009 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-11-18

I’m lazy and don’t wanna re-type it all again, so i had an idea for fighters that i posted under the sub-classes forum.  its page 1 near the bottom of the page my post.  right on top about fighters
Basically the

Knight vs Blademaster ideas.  after talking with gal i think hes right, we shouldnt have to choose one or the other, just if you are in the heavy armor you get only the knight skills, but if you switch to light armor and change your wep, you have only the blademaster side.  could play both styles within a boot, or one style one boot, the other the next etc

In the post for blademaster i suggested stances, but since been thinking what could make blademasters really fun is if we had a set bunch of forms to choose from like Lion springs from the bushes, Falling water, Raven’s diving attack, etc. (whatever the names to be somewhat descriptive of the form). and prior to fight after evaluating our opponent, we chose to set up a series of forms to be used against them.  These would go off in response to what opponent did, but also you could link 2 forms together.  I.e. one form ends with a sweep of the opponents legs with wep, which trips them, followed by a prior to fight linked form that begins with a leaping attack where you stab down with wep, with major force behind it.  This would allow people to pre-plan a battle to some extent and try to set up combo form attacks as a strategy to win the fight

Signature 

cool mad

Posted: 19 March 2009 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Candidate
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-06

I recently played Igor and went about training my 1h sword skills in Exedoria university.  I had a few pieces of decent store-bought armour and two max wc storebought 1h swords.  I set my fighter specials, started combat and started reading a magazine (no, not Hustler).  I didn’t have to do anything.  The skills ‘went off’ themselves with no input from me.  In fact, the only thing I had to type was ‘dn’, ‘h’ or ‘drink alcohol’ when my mana was low.

While I realise that I was fighting npcs that wouldn’t really give me much trouble, it still did seem that everything was out of my hands.  All I had to do was check my health.

I think it would be good to give the player the ability to control the specials.  Sure, we have lunge, but I only really use it as an opener.  Allowing the player to control the specials could also help the player develop a tactic for fighting a particular npc etc.

But, as to Belly’s question, I think that I would prefer to “make all the skills available, and let Players pick and choose what they happen to use on a given day, in a given situation”.
Fighters are meant to be weapon masters, so I think it would be good to have them able to use all the skills available.  For example, one day I want to kill some ‘easy’ npcs – I would use certain skills to help me kill them quickly with a 2h weapon.  The next day, I party with a monk or mage to kill a tough npc.  I can use my skills to use 1h with shield and act as a ‘tank’ for the monk/mage to do their stuff.  Having to stick with a certain weapon type because I was limited in my skills would be frustrating, and also get a little monotonous – I like the idea that I can use any weapon(s), or combination of weapons depending on my mood or the circumstances.

I think it would be fun to make some (all?) of the skills available once the fighter has undertaken some training or completed a task.  I don’t think the fighter should have to pay silver though – fighters need the money for equip.  Someone mentioned the old ‘aim’ skill – it was learnt after seeking out a particular npc and speaking with them (or was there more to it than this?  My memory is poor).

Ah, aim.  It was fun.  Not long after it was introduced, Kramer and I hit the Anshelm wall.  Depending on the guard’s armour, Kramer would slit or backstab with me aiming for the injured body part.  We cleared that wall in no time.

Posted: 23 March 2009 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

belly got me all excited.. then decides to get busy at work! mean while im forced to play monk cause i dont wanna burnout fighter before the changes.. or somthin, hah

Posted: 21 July 2009 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-06-03

Frankly I kind of like the way fighters are now.  Boring?  Not really.  Stereotyped and maybe handled incorrectly?  More likely.  Fighter as it currently stands is a wonderful first character class for newcomers to Moral. 

Specials using mana makes the fighter consider increasing their intelligence.  I personally was freaked out when I was talking to another fighter (An aristo no less.) and found that I had higher Itelligence, wisdom, and charisma than they did.  All of your stats are important.

Posted: 22 July 2009 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

i’m a big fan of variation within the classes, giving players the choice to choose a path within the class and excel at it or change their mind and try a different combination.

So for fighters i’d love to see them be able to pick offensive stylings, starting with 1h vs 2h then into individual weapon types.  Given that a fighter who is specialized in 2h axes should be devestating with it.

3 of 3

‹‹ Fighters Shields      Demonologist ››