Poll
Would Etonix hosting Moral Decay be a BAD thing?
Yes 1
No 8
Undecided 2
Total Votes: 11
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Moral Decay…
Posted: 31 March 2010 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-11-18

As most of you already know, I have my own MUD.. but, I can’t sit back and watch MD fade away.. not now, not ever. I have been working on Shadowed Souls for the past four years, off and on.
It’s my baby, but, if I were to sacrifice it(IE: make it go bye bye), in order to save Moral Decay, and give it a permanent and stable home, would anyone care?
Right now, we all know that MD is bugged to hell.. and I am willing to (help) fix it. Lilu seems very busy, as does everyone else.. three wizards are active, and I don’t see why nothing has been done to better the wizardry, and the player-base. I’m not asking for anything - instead, I am offering free, lifelong hosting of the MUD and it’s players.

I can host it, and it would be up indefinitely if I were to do such.

If I were to give MD a home, would it be a good thing?

Posted: 31 March 2010 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2007-11-06

I must say that Etonix would seem a more secure host to me than Lilu right now. We need a mud with weekly backups instead of yearly. A mud professionally hosted instead of on someone’s home computer that might be rebooted w/o warning.

It is my believe that Etonix would keep us up and running, and he’d be much more in touch with the mud than Lilu is able to due to all his RL responsibilities.

Definitely time for a move if we want to see MD last…

Posted: 31 March 2010 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2007-11-06

Also notice that you have to vote NO if you are in favor of etonix hosting, he worded his question silly ;)

Pretty much md is dead if you vote yes, so keep that in mind.

Posted: 31 March 2010 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2007-11-18

I just want to help Moral Decay, guys.. and this is a time it needs help, baaaad.

Posted: 31 March 2010 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-11-05

I totally understand the vigors of the real world interfering with best laid plans to work on MD. Let’s face it, as much as we love it, it IS work, as enjoyable as it can be.

I feel who ever has the most free time and interest in continuing the game should host it. A lot of people have put a lot of work in this, and thinking of it being lost probably makes some feel slightly ill. Back ups are awesome though wink

Posted: 31 March 2010 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2007-11-18

I have been talking to my host, about adding an extra shell account for Lilu, and FTP accounts for all wizards.

Posted: 31 March 2010 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-11-06

If Eto can provide a stable, permanent home, and back it up on a regular basis, than let’s go for it.

Shams

Posted: 31 March 2010 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2007-11-18

Shams, I have wrote a script and cron job to backup my own MUD, on a weekly basis. It works beautifully, and I will do the same for MD.

Posted: 01 April 2010 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2007-11-08

Is there a downside? I’m ignorant about things like this. Would it just be the fact that we’d be turning the MUD over to one of the “newer” players? Someone clue me in to why this would even need discussion.

Posted: 02 April 2010 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2007-11-06

Because if someone just said ‘hey i want to host MD’ it probably wouldn’t happen. MD has a history of being slow about making changes, and whenever one person just has an idea it doesn’t happen. By having a number of people in support, whenever we finally get ahold of Lilu directly, then we have some substance to present instead of going through the process of ‘well what would the players think’ ‘would it be good for the mud’ ‘does anyone really care about MD, should we just call it quits’ etc.

I don’t know what questions might come up, but at least by having the process started by getting player feedback, then it is going to be looked at as a serious option instead of another deleted mail.

As a side note, anyone ever read ‘Atlas Shrugs’? Tane talked me into reading it (i’m only on page 120 or so out of 1100 pages), but so far, that book is describing the way things have been going on in MD. From the way we started and grew with some great wizards, to the way things are right now and the current state of the mud. Sorta helps reinforce how we need to act now instead of just waiting to see how things turn out.

Posted: 03 May 2010 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

Crap...of course I voted the wrong way....

You guys have to write those questions so idiots like me can vote correctly.

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Posted: 11 May 2010 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-11-17
Abbot - 02 April 2010 12:24 PM

As a side note, anyone ever read ‘Atlas Shrugs’? Tane talked me into reading it (i’m only on page 120 or so out of 1100 pages), but so far, that book is describing the way things have been going on in MD. From the way we started and grew with some great wizards, to the way things are right now and the current state of the mud. Sorta helps reinforce how we need to act now instead of just waiting to see how things turn out.

It is a good read.

‹‹ Moral Decay - up!?      Is MD down? ››