1 of 2
Sub-Class Ideas
Posted: 29 May 2008 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2007-11-22

Now that Belly has posted his Cleric Idea I think it’s time to rehash the...what other sub-classes can we make debate smile

Here is a couple I was thinking about while reading the cleric Thread.

Necro Paladine:
pretty much the opposite of the cleric paladin.  Same weapon restrictions and so forth but with a few of the necro abilities such as cast darkness, perhaps a weakened death Armour spell.

Desert Shaman:
A barb offshoot that would have spells of rage and zerk which could be cast on party memebers or themselves.  Not as much offence as a normal barb, but I am sure some cool spells can be thought of such as a lightning or fireball spell.  Perhaps the ability to summon a phoenix or something cool at high levels to help out with that.

Demon Master:
I think this was mentioned before, but I can’t recall the details.  Pretty much a druid, but with demon summons and dark spells like wither and plague, mana leech and a horde of demons to summon from.  Alignment should be on the evil side for this class.

I think that should be good to get you started, have fun smile

Signature 

What do you mean I called you beautiful and you were the only one.  That was just the beer and pillow talk baby.

Posted: 29 May 2008 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

You volunteerin’ to code ‘em?

Posted: 29 May 2008 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-22

I learned long ago to never volunteer for anything smile

I’m an ideas guy....I think up the ideas, and others make it happen smile

Signature 

What do you mean I called you beautiful and you were the only one.  That was just the beer and pillow talk baby.

Posted: 29 May 2008 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

ooohhh he called you out!

but i agree.. there is a thing called Anti-Paladins who are the evil verson of paladins and they dont like each other too much
but again paladins and anti ones usally fall under fighters… necros fell under a mage school..ect.. ya i know blahblahblah shut your face lynis

i like the barb shanman idea.. thats pretty sweet.. and the other could be cannabil or somthing like that

the demon master i would think would fall under necro.. teams with a lich type sub class, heavy based caster necro

now we can bring back part of old druid and have the sub class a shapshifter.. that would be cool

thief.. bandit and assissian.. bandit can were.. better armor and better melee.. where assissian is more like thief now where they hit hard as hell first then try to finish them off… bandit would still get an ambush.. just assisians would be better.. .. just and idea

mage already has what it should imo.. maybe beable to have a mage that can get any spell but spell costs are higher.. like usally mages that speicalize are rare.. md you have to specialize

monk.. ahh who cares about monks smile.. umm.. lemme think.. maybe a monk that uses weapons? more maybe like mage they specialize in a style

that leaves fighters… paladin and ranger are the obvous choices.. but are mix classes with clerics and druids (could give rangers to druids too) umm soo hmm death knights (honorable good knights that turned curropt and died) would be cool.. but that could be put under necro too (and is kinda but not the same type im thinking of) ones that power word stun, kill.. fireballs.. natural fear aura.. ect..
hard to beleive i dont have any ideas for fighter huh

Posted: 29 May 2008 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

Fighters often have the sub-classes of fully-armoured Knight versus the lightly-armoured Swordmaster.  Think of a Dark Age knights versus someone like Zorro

Posted: 29 May 2008 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

fighters also used to have barbs as a sub class, or sometimes called beserkers smile

but i know what you mean.. but like its been discussed any more ac will take more offence away from a class that already wants more…

hmmm i got ideas.. they just escape me

Posted: 29 May 2008 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

Oooh I like these...plus I like Tarmon being harassed more too....

Get a passport Canuck and come down south!

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Posted: 29 May 2008 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-22

heh, i’ll have to re-read Lynis post...all I got from it was - ya i know blahblahblah shut your face lynis smile

A demon Master would not fall under necro I don;t think.  Necro deal with the dead or undead....demons are another sort of creature.  I could someone hapilly running along with 3 imps in tow stealing mana as they go!

Wow, I should make all my posts rhyme all the time!

Signature 

Posted: 30 May 2008 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

The game shadowbane did it kinda cool.  When you class you picked a generic class (fighter, mage, priest, rogue) and you’d play that generic class till a certain level when you could pick a specialized class, for a priest it might be necro or cleric.  Then you’d play as that specialized class until a certain level where you’d then pick your final sub class, for a cleric it would be paladin or healer.

So if you start as a fighter, you’d then get barb or warrior, warrior would then pick swordsman or knight (offense or defense essentially).  Barb would then pick Bezerker or Ranger (in your face axe wielding freak or a druid/warrior hybrid).  Necros could pick to become a Dark templar (solo warrior of darkness) or a Commander of the undead.

Posted: 30 May 2008 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

That is a cool way of handling it all.  That’s how I’d like to see it if we were to start from scratch.

Posted: 30 May 2008 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2007-11-08

as far as it goes, I think Bards are the most obvious “sub-class” missing from the game.

Posted: 30 May 2008 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

they are a class in there own.. being able to melee, thief stuff, and cast spells… AND sing songs
cept i posted that already, would be an interesting class..

Posted: 05 June 2008 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2007-11-18

This is an idea i have had for quite a long time, sub-classes for each class.

Here is a rough outline with more details to follow.
Fighter: Two types-
Knight: wears any armor as much as possible including shields. has battlecry and group tactics
wields mainly polearms, 1 hand maces/flails/morning stars, and 2hand axes while wearing a
Shield.  Associated specials that go with said weps, as they are currently. also has
charge, where they attempt to run down an oppenent, possibly stunning, most likely
disrupting the flow of their combat. Uses shield for Parry/Riposte.... the only time they
can parry is with a shield. and gain bonuses from using steeds, such as sygorns or
Camels, horses, wolves etc. i.e.e a greater charge more powerful overhead swing.

Weaponmaster: wears mainly cloth/leather/boiled leather armor. Has greater concentrate,
which has elements of current concentrate like becoming more effective the longer
the fighter stays in fight after concentrating. but adds in things like barbs adrenal defense.  Should be more effective that concentrate now though. Can wield any wep but should have
best specials effects with knives, 1hand swords and axes, 2hand swords or 2hand
Staves.  Should have more specials associated with these, as well as stances that they
enter before initiating combat based on a quick but comprehensive assessment of
their opponents strengths and weaknesses. Has greater Lunge used during
concentrate...fighter initiates lunge, but it may take a few rounds before there is an
opening in opponents defense, where lunge actually goes off.  Also completely goes
crazy on an opponent who missteps, i.e. fumbles an attack, stuns themselves etc
should see like 10 hits or so immediately following any of these.  Should have
current chance for extra attacks.
Both subs would keep inspect and consider for 0 mana

Necomancer: Two types-
Lord of the undead: Very much like current necromancer, minus death armor and
whatever iceblade is called these days.  Weaker curse as well. But must keep vault
Storage of corpses, and must lower the amount needed to build incred undead.

Death Knight: Much more akin to old necro. stackable darkness Lichphase, Greater curse
affects stats like a reverse bless and slightly lowers ac values. Can take corpses
and make weak undead who mainly just absorb damage, and keep blows off of
knight.  Up to chain armor worn.  Iceblade or whatever its called now, can wield
any type of wep with higher wc restrictions. Should be able to cultivate rotting
corpses for disease which can be applied to weapons.  Can cast touch of minor
fatigue/exhaustion. Has death armor. Can cast Gloom which affects opponents
by further disrupting their ability to hit in darkness, and has something akin to a
feeblemind effect.  Can also cast Abasement.......throws himself to the floor and
cries out his unworthiness… An Avatar of The Dark Lord appears.  This Avatar
either causes opponent to flee in despair, with a possibility of dropping unworn/
unwielded items in inventory, or causes opponent to momentarily lose their lust
for battle.  i.e. no specials attacks by opponent for the next 45 secs to a min.

Cleric: i think bellys idea is great with Paladin/Priest duality

Mages:  The sub-classes are already there, the whole class could just be tweaked.... take out
trance add in use of items that must be collected for certain spells, and during
party fights mages can regen mana quickly by stopping physical attacks for a few
rounds and focusing on a plan of attack. reference lynis’s ideas for mana regen
without trance.
Monk:  Two sub types-
Martial Artist: Current monk minus send and mana regen mandala.

Mentalist: Send, Mindblast-does Psychic damage which manifests as Physical symptoms
Confusion-lowers opponents to hit ratio, Can use Staves/nunchuks/Chains of
fairly high wc, wears only cloth, but can use Psychic reinforcement. expend
mana to raise the ac of their cloth armor. Has mandala of mystery. can fight
without weps not as well as the Martial Artist...Uses punches and dodge only,
but better than any other class without weps. Has Psychic Blade. can call into
being a knife composed of pure mental energy, which does not rely upon
a weapon skill, but only lasts a few rounds, and when it penetrates an
opponent causes a devastating shock throughout the body which stuns and
does continuing damage for 5 rounds or so.  Has *Link* ala old school monk
More ideas to follow next post

Signature 

cool mad

Posted: 05 June 2008 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Joined  2007-11-18

More ideas

Thief: Two types-

Assassin: Greater Ambush, Less likelihood of being detected in lurk. No Steal/ No peek/
No appraise.  Can search out ingredients that molochai wants for better poisons.
Stronger or different effects of these poisons. Uses Traps more, uses them better.
Master of Thrown weps and blowguns. Assail and Slit as the are.

Rogue: Lesser Ambush, Lurk as is. Does not poison weps, but can poison alc. Throws weps
but not as well as assassin. Master of all doors/locks/disarming traps.  Greater Focus
gains more info than other classes. Distraction- a skill that increases the likelihood of an
unnoticed steal. Must be in cloth armor to steal.  Can wear up to banded armor.  Has a
Trip/Slash combo attack. When an opponent is stunned they position themselves behind
opponent for a devastatingly hard attack. When in parties can use distraction to position themselves this way too due to
opponent not being able to focus as well on thief.  If this attack is partially blocked due to
opponent being focused on thief, then party mates specials go off i.e. Jax Flash, Lunge
etc. 

Barbarians: two types-
Berzerker: Current barbarian

Nomads: Can subdue one game animal at a time to be their fighting companion. Wears
Leather/Bone/ Some Scale ala metal discs sewn on leather. Master of Bows/
Crossbows.  No Zerk. No Dragons subdued.  Can make disease fighting/ low lvl
healing potions and unguents.  More to come on this one sorry. Can combine bone
Leather and Metal to create higher ac armor up to ac 6 or so

Druids: two types-
Beastmaster: Much like current.

Naturalist: wears natural armor, uses elemental spells like fanning flames-wind comes in
and sweeps flames from a nearby fire into opponent.  Earthquake. Plant growth-Vines
other plants grow up in room and attack. etc. 
Never having played druids i havent thought that much about them feel free to expand/change ideas in replies

really would like to pull in some of those items/skills/etc that are in game already but rare or hardly used i.e. projectile weps, traps, steeds, resistances like psychic, exhaustion.

Sorry about the mess-up on thief post happened to me twice

Signature 

cool mad

Posted: 05 June 2008 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Joined  2007-11-18

lastly the idea i had was to try and have two types per class. One that requires long playing time due to the amount of gearing up they do, and has greatest power when fully geared.  the other type for each class is one who does not use such great amounts of gear, but can kick butt with little lead in time...great for those who dont have as much time to play.  Also made those types more party friendly.  appreciate any and all responses

Signature 

cool mad

Posted: 05 June 2008 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05
Belegost - 30 May 2008 10:38 AM

That is a cool way of handling it all.  That’s how I’d like to see it if we were to start from scratch.

Thats kinda the point, we need to start it over again.

1 of 2

‹‹ Cleric update      Mages ››