Old school Castles
Posted: 03 March 2008 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

I miss them, they were fun, but it got me thinking, other muds let you buy houses and such, alowing you to write the desc as you want (similar to guilds) and then add rooms if you want (ie back room but more so if you want), so i dont see a problem there.. but the fun thing about castles was subdueing npcs and guarding your castle.. we got clan halls now.. but. that has kinda died down, and raids dont off much but to pay rent for the clans.  Not really sure where this one is going, just my brain throwing up on a topic again. carry on

Posted: 03 March 2008 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-11-02

Ahh, castles and armies.  Those were the days.  By the time I aristoed, castles had already been taken out.  I always wanted a castle. :(

As for your house idea, I think it sounds pretty cool.  I don’t know how we’d go about doing it though.  I’m actually working on a wiz tool (that may later be open to a select few players) that streamlines room building.  You just fill out a web form with different fields such as room name, room description, items and item descriptions, etc. and it generates the code for us to put onto the mud.  It’s far from complete but it may be something to think about.

Signature 

“A word to the wise ain’t necessary—it’s the stupid ones that need the advice.”

Posted: 07 March 2008 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

this could be great to add in cities, as all the building are really just storage for npcs.  Imagine having your own apartment that you could outfit just like a backroom of a guild.  You could have your own private teleport, a wagon, maybe a multiboot keg hookup, a private vault, bank account access.  And it could go beyond that too, imagine having a grinding wheel that lets you sharpen weapons (resetting their durability), a healing shower, a meditation pad for mana regen, even a TV where you can watch preset locations like the kraken or khummar.

The best part is it would become a money sink for silver as all these things would effect your rent, and you’d need to purchase stock from smelters for some of the items, helping to increase demand for those items.

Posted: 07 March 2008 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-11-18

This would be really nice, but then for newer players they might feel really left out, because the aristos are not only insanely strong (compared to how strong they feel) and not only that but aristos are able to heal/regenerate mana really fast due to their houses and feel its really unfair

unless we do something similar in the newbie/adventurer guild or set up a “newbie-midbie” only shelter outside in the wilderness too where it has similar things up to like lvl 15 or something? iono but the healing and mana it gives is dependent on level, so theres an incentive to level up and the aristos would get a better deal (be happier with the stuff they needed to buy) from their items.

Signature 

“Moonlight shines on the innocent and guilty alike.”

Posted: 07 March 2008 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2007-11-06

I don’t think healing should be an option.  It will dilute the economy and class specific abilities.  although I do agree that healing is a major pain, maybe a global look at healing?  Who cares if it costs more?  Time is money.

Posted: 07 March 2008 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05
Alazar - 07 March 2008 11:44 AM

I don’t think healing should be an option.  It will dilute the economy and class specific abilities.  although I do agree that healing is a major pain, maybe a global look at healing?  Who cares if it costs more?  Time is money.

well that was over simplifying it.  A healing shower might be the equivilent of a quasi necro sleep of death, it would only be a state of increased healing for x amount of time, once per boot.

the idea is that you’d trade silver for time.

So long as aristos arn’t directly having an effect with newbs then it wouldn’t matter.  One could argue that a newb seeing how many cool things the aristo has might encourage them to work harder.

As for dealing with newbie/midbie areas, the idea is to set up instances, areas that are player specific.  I enter the caves with godzilla and everything in it is set for my level, someone else comes into it with their level 8 and everything is set to them.  Sorta like several copies running at the same time.

Posted: 13 March 2008 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

I just never bothered with castles.  I thought they were cool and all but just wasn’t my thing.  I can’t even remember if i ever had one....

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

‹‹ Arena      Champions ››