1 of 3
new races
Posted: 07 March 2008 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

we’ve had the same hohum races for many years now, i think its time we suggested a few new ones to help shake things up a bit.

half-giants?  they can only wear extra-large armor but are naturally resistant to stun

troll? high regen rate, racially can only use certain weapon types

goblin?  easier to be evil, affinity with weapons (making them last longer)

we’ve always assumed that the ‘half’ of ‘half elf’ was human.  What if it was orc-elf hybrid?

Posted: 07 March 2008 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

Hey.. im Dwarf-Elf!

Also, what about Drows, or some specialty races like vampires and such

Posted: 07 March 2008 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05
Lynis - 07 March 2008 06:02 AM

Hey.. im Dwarf-Elf!

Also, what about Drows, or some specialty races like vampires and such

well we don’t want to go overboard, but yea drows should certainly be an option.  Maybe break down each existing race into sub races.

Elf - then you pick between Dark Elf, High Elf, or Wood elf.  Each has its own benifits and shortcomings.  Dark elf obviously inclined to evil, all elves have an inclination to the natural arts, maybe a slight encumbrance penalty for non natural armor (not much just a little).

Posted: 07 March 2008 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

well like vampires.. superhuman.. but make fire and holy devestate them.. and bright rooms, like a necro but also hurts them, and they dont get a darkness spell

Posted: 07 March 2008 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05
Lynis - 07 March 2008 08:55 AM

well like vampires.. superhuman.. but make fire and holy devestate them.. and bright rooms, like a necro but also hurts them, and they dont get a darkness spell

could do the same thing as with races, at level 5 you join Necro and you get to pick from three different paths, a vampire - sorta a fight/necro hybrid that doesn’t have undeads to command but is good in combat and can summon plague rats and creatures of the night during combat. other path might be our standard necro of now and the third option might be a more of a warlock where you summon demons and imps to command and rather than collect corpses for undead you harvest souls from your defeated enemies.

Course to become the vampire you’d have to complete a quest where you track down the most powerful vampire and convince him to turn you into one of his kind.  You wouldn’t be able to drink alcohol to regen, but rather blood, and you could turn into a bat to travel faster.  Armor would be limited and you’d have to fight weaponless.

Posted: 07 March 2008 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-11-18

vampires sound cool! smile
hehe i always wanted vampirism instead of lycanthropy

also i think vampires type necros should be able to use undead arms.. or at least another necro should be able to “give” vampires undead arms smile

Signature 

“Moonlight shines on the innocent and guilty alike.”

Posted: 07 March 2008 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

naa dont think it should be sololy one class..

and yea there probably will be some silly quest

Posted: 07 March 2008 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

if it would be an item in game available to all players then it would have to be a quest related item and possibly spreadable.

Though it could also be a very cool halloween activity, werewolves vs vampires

Posted: 21 March 2008 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2007-11-05

Rather than new races, I’d like to see more variance in the races we currently have.  We all know they have varying cost multiplyers for statistics and resistances vary.  I think incorporating statistic caps that were dependent on race would be awesome.  Currently, anyone can take any race and, at level 19, have all statistics at incredible.  I suggest the cap for half-ogre stats being +3 str/con and -3 int/wis.  This would throw a whole new dynamic into character creation.  It would make each character different.  Each character would have different strengths and weaknesses.

Posted: 21 March 2008 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

That has always bugged me that a gnome with Incredible STR can hit just as hard as a half-ogre with Incredible STR.  This would be a HUGE change and would affect all currently existing characters.  Imagine those gnome Barbs who all of a sudden find out that their STR is reduced by 3; or those half-ogre Mages who lose spells because their INT is dropped by 3.

Posted: 21 March 2008 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

or my level 19 half ogre necromancer suddenly unable to raise DKs cause he doesn’t have enough mana.

Posted: 21 March 2008 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

But customization is a good thing.  Languages don’t get used much, but they’re a good example of customization and individualization.  For example, there are Tasks that require some proficiency with the language - I can think of one where you should speak Dwarf, and another where you need to speak Drow.  Things like this are good.  Any other ideas?

Posted: 21 March 2008 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

yea.. but the dwarf one is broken smile .. need to find the drow one.. can we even learn drow??

I agree with the races playing more of a part with stats, not just how much it cost to raise.. but like belly said.. its going to suck for people with odd races/class combos.. like mages not being able to cast spells and necros struggling to raise undead.. but maybe more of somthing like, half-ogre with inc str can carry more, hit harder, then a gnome with inc str.. but the stat is the same.. sooo like a half-ogre mage and gnome mage.. the gnomes spells are going to be more powerful then the half-ogre mage’s spells, but the half-ogre will be beable to take more damage then the little gnome.. that way they can still cast the same spells.. just one is more effective then the other…

altho.. i do think the best way would be to be able to see some kind of change in score..

Posted: 21 March 2008 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Candidate
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2007-11-21

I bet Guido would absolutely “love” your idea about half-ogre mages…

Posted: 31 March 2008 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2007-11-22

I like the idea of trolls, but invision them more as a weaponless class with good Natural AC and claws for weps.  also a bite attack at later levels with some minor poison in it.

as for the stat\race discussion, I would like to see some benifits of being a 1/2 ogre fighter with INC stats vs a gnome with the same stats.  I guess we could assume that a gnome with INC str is INC for it’s race but compared to a 1/2 ogre it would be like Lynis’s girly elf compared to a real race smile

On the other side of the coin, if we had race modifiers I dought we would see the diverse race\class combos we see such as the Half-orc mage or gnome fighter.

Signature 

What do you mean I called you beautiful and you were the only one.  That was just the beer and pillow talk baby.

Posted: 30 May 2008 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2007-11-08

What about aristo races?  When you do q7 you can either choose to ascend to demi-godhood (ie, level 25 and higher) or you can start a new life as a new class:

Fighters = giant or valkyrie or einherjar (sp?)
barbs = some sort of shaman spirit
mage = lich
necro = vampire
monk = dragon
druid = treant or elemental
thief = some sort of shadow creature (think myrrdraal from wheel of time)
cleric = angel

1 of 3

‹‹ Best Race      Halflings... ››