2 of 3
new races
Posted: 30 May 2008 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

that is a great idea! but i dont think it should be limited.. i think if i wanted to be lich fighter i could… but maybe have them ideal for each class.. personally as a fighter id rather we part demon or dragon or even vampire or elemental.. or angel i guess would work too…

while.. as we have already talked about.. i made a fighter half-elf to be on the quicker side but still having the str of a human.. ei thinking id be lighter, faster but not hit like a girl.. but the way races are now all they really do is make stats cost cheaper or more.. with some seeing better in the dark then others.. and some reistences

Posted: 30 May 2008 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2007-11-08

well lich fighter doesn’t make much sense, but I see your point.  Maybe at least 2 choices for each class?  alignment/race based?

Posted: 30 May 2008 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

nether does a half-ogre mage.. or a dwarf monk..  but they are around smile

Posted: 31 May 2008 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2007-11-08

but I mean the point of a lich is that it is an undead super powerful magic user.  I think a lich fighter is more like saying a midget who is 6’8”

Posted: 11 June 2008 04:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-11-22

Race bonus/penalties:  All of us made our characters with the understanding there were no penalties other then cost of the actual stat.  And making off race classes in that case was entertaining.  However if there would be a permenant -3 to a class, or require a class to make much higher levels to get the same stat, I think that wizards would have to look at allowing a character to change their race…

If that were the case it would be MD.....Home of nothing but human characters....and most armourers could change to medium stock then…

Posted: 11 June 2008 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

not true.. if they are done right.. id still want a half-elf..slightly quicker then a human but stronger then a elf fighter.. others might pick a elf fighter for the dex bonus.. which, elf fighters should more then human fighters, but humans hit harder.. then half-orcs hit less then human but harder and then ogres.. type deal .. just examples.. some class/race comes SHOULDNT work.. like a gnome barb.. but a halfling barb atleast they should be hitting a ton with there high dex and extra ac for small size… while dwarfs are small too… no extra ac but they already have good con.. ogre-mage.. only plus for that would be high con/str.. if they every make battle mages more fesable
i personaly will never be a stright up human.. to boring

Posted: 13 June 2008 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-11-18

ok.. if there are angels.. i wouldnt mind aristoing smile

Signature 

“Moonlight shines on the innocent and guilty alike.”

Posted: 13 June 2008 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

Somewhere in AGES long past, when I first wizzed, I remember staying up for whole nights, just reading every file that i could possibly get my fingers on (that I had access to).  I seem to vaguely remember something else about the races that differentiated them aside from the costs associated with raising individual stats, their resistances, their probability of body-sizes, and their infravision.  I have this incredibly vague recollection of running across something dealing with weapon training costs.  It was something along the lines of a small percent (2, 3, 4% - in that neighborhood) discount to training specific weapons.  Let’s just say for example, halflings got a 2% discount to training knives, and dwarves got a 2% discount to training 2h axes.  I have NO idea if that code was implemented or is implemented; nor do I remember where I saw it.  My recollection was that the discounted % was so small that it wasn’t worth factoring into the choice of race.

Now, if this code *is in fact* in the game, it should be put in a help file somewhere.  I’ll add this to the bottom of a very long To Do list.

I just thought I’d throw this into the conversation smile

Posted: 16 June 2008 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

haha that is good info.. and would be very hard for us.. the players.. to figure out on our own if a dwarf trains 2h axes 2% faster then everyone else smile

which haveing races that can raise skills higher then others is a good idea too.. but that will only work if other bonuses and negitives get put into play too

Posted: 16 June 2008 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

I think one of the big problems w/ the wep-training-thing is that after halflings & knives and dwarves & 2h-axes, there are no natural pairings of races and weapons.  It quickly becomes artificial, and a certain point bothersome.  For example, which race gets shackled with polearms? Or which one lucks out with 1h-sword?

Posted: 16 June 2008 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2007-11-05

Should races be reduced to that?  Just weapon skills, general sizes, resistances, and xp costs for stats?  We could think outside the box here and think about regen rates for health and mana, racial hatreds (bonuses in combat for elves vs. stunties, stunties vs. greenskins), etc.

Posted: 17 June 2008 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-23

well it doesnt have to be souly one race per weapon.. but id say elfs with 1h swords.. humans polearms.. .. but i think more like humans get no bonus.. halfings/gnomes get bounes to knives and clubs or whatever.. ac bonus for being small.. but its harder for them to train 2h weapons and cant train them as high.. or mabye even let them use 1h weapons with 2hands but i agree with malal.. once you put all that into effect neg and postivies can be balanced out

Posted: 17 June 2008 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

well your more gracefull weapons would go to the more graceful races, so 1h swords and 2handed bashers would be elvish.  Your heavy more powerful weapons would be your tougher races, so 2h swords and polearms for orc/ogre/humans.

Posted: 17 June 2008 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

What about a two handed basher is graceful.  PRIEST SMASH is all I can think!

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Posted: 18 June 2008 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  492
Joined  2007-11-22

They are more graceful in the hands of someone other that heimy I think smile

Signature 

What do you mean I called you beautiful and you were the only one.  That was just the beer and pillow talk baby.

2 of 3

‹‹ Best Race      Halflings... ››