Citizenship
Posted: 16 March 2008 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Candidate
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-06

Disclaimer: Apologies if any of the ideas are old-news or some features are already in the game - my knowledge of all the intricacies of MD is somewhat lacking....

Anyways…

Citizenship:

Every player starts off as being a “Citizen of Vesla”.  If a player then decides to change cities (and their login start) or belongs to a guild in a city they become a “Citizen of Exedoria” etc.  I know that there are various benefits to being a citizen of a city, but how about allowing a player to have a ranked citizenship with a particular city? 

By completing various tasks, quests etc. a player rises to a more prominent status in the city (e.g. Citizen->Guardian->Hero->Legend).  Increased status would allow a player to gain access to certain parts of the city and maybe some unique services in the city.

However, killing fellow citizens (players and npcs) could reduce the player’s ranking and may even lead to the player being stripped of any rank.  Killing certain other npcs would increase a player’s ranking e.g. killing munchkins would raise Exedoria status, killing orc raiders on Island would raise Island status etc.

Some tasks could be:
- provide materials for improving the city defences/guards (perhaps buy material from smelter guilds);
- ‘bounty-hunter’ tasks like in Exedoria;
- killing guards/generals etc. in other cities;
- rescuing npcs.

Problems:
- newbies kill Vesla cadets etc. which would obviously hurt their ranking in Vesla.  Maybe introduce the citizenship at lvl 5 or something?  Or start everyone as ‘neutral’ and allow a player to ‘apply’ for citizenship?
- each city has a wealth of great items - would a player be put off taking citizenship if it meant they lost ranking for killing certain npcs?;
- certain quests involve killing certain npcs which could affect ranking.

Hmm....maybe this idea wouldn’t work after all *grin*

Posted: 17 March 2008 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

yes it could, but you’d have to give groups within regions one or more faction affiliation.  For example in vesla killing the robed figures would increase my standing with the Veslan Uppityups and lower the standing with the Robed Figure Alliance and maybe slightly lower my standing with the Bad Guys of Vesla group.  By contrast, killing guards would lower my standing with the uppityups and raise my standing with the Bad Guys of Vesla, but the Robed figure alliance may or may not care.

As my faction improves i gain access to areas controlled by those factions, and as others lower i lose access to areas.  If my standing in indel gets too low the guards might attack me on sight, or bar my entrance, requiring me to find other ways in.

If each City was a faction and then we had say a dozen or so other factions that could be scattered thru out the mud.  Plus city faction would impact and be impacted by city relations with other cities.  For example, Candera and Indel hate each other and are on the brink of war, so i could go to indel and start killing guards dropping indel standing but raising canderan standing.  But then Indel extends a olive branch or some events (be it player quest or random event) causes them to be friends again, so now your killing of the guards lowers indel standing AND candera standing.

Posted: 21 March 2008 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

Or how about something simi simple for the time being.. there are already little perks.. but like the enchanter in anshelm is cool but stuff like that for every city

‹‹ What is your favorite city/area?      Indel ››