1 of 2
Demonologist
Posted: 21 March 2008 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
Midbie
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2007-11-05

Since we’re toying with the idea of splitting Clerics into two different classes, what about the idea of splitting necromancers into those who deal with undead hordes and demonologists?  The roleplay value would be out of this world.  Also, as they’re in constant communion with the ‘dark side’, they should constantly get these chats and urges to do horrible things.  Refer to the Cthulhu for Prez post smile

*The screaming voices of the insane alien entities bore into your brain, compelling you to do acts of unspeakable horror*

*Ubiquitous chanting in unpronouncable inhuman tongues causes you to squeal in horrific delight*

etc, etc.

Posted: 21 March 2008 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

I have long favored something along this idea.  I think there should be an Evil magic-user and an Evil warrior-class - whatever they’re called and whatever their powers might be.

Posted: 21 March 2008 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Candidate
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2007-11-21

In the meantime, I think necros would be much more enjoyable for aristos if a new and improved undead type was introduced for them.  As I have discussed with Belegost and others (including Rose I believe), my level 24 necro is stuck with the same power Death Knight as a level 17 necro.  Granted, an aristo necro has more willpower than a level 17 necro and as such, may utilize an undead beast, and even an acolyte or two.  However, in my opinion, this does not adequately address the lack of power differential between a seven level gap.

Just food for thought.

Posted: 21 March 2008 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2007-11-05

as posted earlier, the idea of a warlock - a magic user who captures the souls of his enemy and uses those souls to summon imps and demons to serve him.  Specializes in the corruptive arts.

Posted: 21 March 2008 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-06

We’ve (we Wizards) also been chatting about an Aristo-only undead summon and it will happen at some point.  There aren’t many of us and we’re busy.  Stern’s been popping his head in and out lately, maybe we can ask him to crank this out . . .

Posted: 21 March 2008 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

well the demonologist/warlock would have only one summonable pet allowed at a time, starting with an imp then minion, lesser demon, and so forth up the chain as their power grew. 

Like a necro but more about evil than death

Posted: 21 March 2008 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

like a warlock from WoW

Demonologist that can posses NPC’s would be cool too.

Evil Warrior, got my attention, id turn evil again, but as it stands, no reason to be evil.. and, from playing with necros.. not the very easy to get good exp and stay evil at high levels anymore, but i heard there are a couple ideas floating around to help with that.

Posted: 21 March 2008 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Candidate
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

I believe some new aristo areas with good aligned monsters (and good xp) are in the works.  Currently, as a necro, my xp areas are limited to the following 3 xp areas:

Elf Trees in the Village Green
Hyashi Valley
Scarlet Guards in Anshelm

Granted, the xp from the areas pale in comparison to some other xp areas.  I try hard to keep my necro demonic, but it is definitely an uphill battle.  However, I don’t think alignment affects necro all that much.  As far as I know, our spells are completely stat/level dependent, and alignment doesn’t play a factor.  The only drawback for not being evil is the limitation of certain necro-type weapons.

Am I wrong about this?

Posted: 21 March 2008 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-11-02
Lythas - 21 March 2008 07:39 AM

Am I wrong about this?

Yes. smile

Signature 

“A word to the wise ain’t necessary—it’s the stupid ones that need the advice.”

Posted: 21 March 2008 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Candidate
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

To continue my thoughts from the previous post, I think once some more good aligned area(s) are added, it might make sense to revisit the alignment issue with necros.  To me, it would make sense that a necro with demonic alignment should get a boost to his spells as compared to a necro of the same level/stats without such an evil alignment.  Maybe the more evil you are, you could get a higher % chance of a more effective curse, better darkness, etc.  Also, alignment could be factored into the intensify corpse spell.  I have always thought an aristo necro with high stats and evil align should get a much better corpse boost using the intensify corpse spell.  Frankly, since I have never seen the code and have not tested this with lower level necros, I am uncertain as to how much the intensify corpse spell actually helps the overall level of the aggregate corpse.

Posted: 18 July 2008 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-06-30

If a warrior necro was made I would most likely go back to playing necro.  I love my necro but it is time consuming to really build him up.  If I could log on and buy armor and weapons, maybe sacrifice a few builds to pre-pare my equipment I would enjoy the sin out of that.  I know if it was to happen it is a very long ways down the road.  I also think the summoning necro at full force should be more powerful just because of the time involed, but the warrior necro would need to have abilities and skills to fill in for the lack of undead.  This would also make it possible for necros to party together, something you don’t see often.  I have a few ideas for spells and stuff.
- They should be allowed to wear higher ac armor and wield high wc weapons.
- They should have spells for weapons and shield.  Spells that would affect/add damage types.
- Darkness spells.  Maybe one for the shield (weaker spell), a room spell (maybe something called Pillar of Darkness) that would drop light level like a rock, and maybe allow them to summon a shadow wraith that could follow but do nothing else.  A scarifies could be required for a wraith, the higher the npc the darker the wraith would make it.
- If the warrior is allowed to summon I think the summons should be more support role then actually fighting.

Posted: 22 July 2008 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

Command Death Knights or be a death knight?
Animate corpses into an undead army or summon demons?

What if higher armor required willpower? so i could fight in chain and 1 dk or ring and 2 dk or banded with no dk?
Maybe bring alchemy into the class, where we can gather resources and make potions or apply chemicals to make ourselves or our undeads better?  Heck you could make alchemy a non class specific profession.

What if being evil was more than being able to wield certain objects? what if we got certain attacks at certain alignment standings?  obviously if i’m only slightly evil i might fight a little dirty, but if i was really really evil i’d be gouging eyes, kicking gnads, throwing mud, etc.

And how bout non combat means to change alignment? remorse, desecration, anger, fury.  Maybe bring some of the Roleplaying aspect into it, evil character naturally have this aura of evil around them.

Posted: 22 July 2008 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  2008-01-15

Why don’t necros party together...that could be some wicked offense and darkness bonuses....healign the others undead if you have the mana and that is possible...possible a dark laen staff out there to heal undead…

Could be really effective…

more innane lack of knowledge necro comments to come in the future i guarantee....

Signature 

And you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Posted: 22 July 2008 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  686
Joined  2007-11-23

man.. imagine 2 necros with all high Acolytes?? i could be wrong, but i think that would be fairly sick

Posted: 22 July 2008 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Aristo
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

never happen, takes too long to get the undead up and running.  Not to mention the blur of combat spam.

Posted: 22 July 2008 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Adventurer
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2008-02-04

I have partied with Anesthesia before.  Level 21 Necro and 22 Druid did produce quite a bit of combat spam.  I seriously had headaches constantly trying to keep up with everything.  All the running around, the combat spam, the summoning, the drinking (in game), the talking, the chat lines, etc.  But beyond that, words cannot explain how fast we killed things.  Using sticks to snakes and a special druid item for an extra summon, there were upwards of 13 targets attacking 1 NPC.  I believe Abbot commented to us saying something like, “Now THAT’S a party.”

But yes, Gogo is right.  2 Necros cannot party simply due to resources, let alone dealing with combat spam.  The amount of corpses it would take to build 2 DK’s (assuming both had already stored corpses) is immense.  Not to mention getting all the eq necros like to have for darkness, high ac, and of course eq/weapons for the DKs.  It’d take at least half the boot to do all that.  And would that 2-3 hours of playing prove worthwhile?  I actually think it might.  But spending those 3+ hours eqing is just too daunting.

1 of 2

‹‹ Fighters      Yearly druid rant ››